Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, November 16, 2013

SOS Prescription : Fall/Winter Facial Skincare

My skin has been going C-RAZY this week from changes in weather. Recently, in the deep south, our morning temps and overnight lows registered in the 25 degree F range. This is especially cold for us at this time of year. The chill in the air and the addition of heating wrecks havoc on my skin. And, to my dismay, my face is a mess: irritated, sensitive,red, dry patches, and sore to touch.  Time to bring out the big guns to battle with my skin. Here are the products I've been using at bedtime to help with my skin. 

1.Cleanse:   For cleanser, I switched to an all natural balm like cleanser: Worker B Honey Face Wash. This does not foam or strip skin because it has no soap products in the ingredients.Look at those healthy and simple ingredients! I treat this like an oil cleanser. Apply to dry skin, add warm water, place an organic washcloth on face, leave for a minute, repeat a few times, and then rinse with cool water. This method leaves no oily film or residue. Then, I cleanse again with Andalou Naturals Apricot Probiotic Cleansing Milk to add moisture. It's not necessary, but I like to!





2.Calm: To calm irritated and upset skin, I slather on Dermalogica Ultracalming Relief Mask (here) for about ten minutes and then rinse with cool water. This is very nourishing and will help clear redness and sensitivity away.

3. Tone: While I love my DeVita Natural Skin Care Cool Cucumber Toner, I switch out my toner at night with Aubrey Calming Skin Therapy Toner as this provides another level of moisture. This calming and hydrating alcohol free and fragrance free toner is targeted to calm skin and relieve redness with anti-oxidants and aloe vera. Full review of the toner is coming soon.

4. Treat: Of all the products I use to help when my skin is irritated, this is the best weapon. Clarins Gentle Care Skin Beauty Repair Concentrate SOS Treatment is loaded with soothing and calming plant extracts such as lavender and marjoram. In addition, avocado and olive oils help to heal skin emergencies and sensitivity. I know it's pricey, but it's the only product that completely soothes and desensitizes my skin. I first used this when I had a severe allergic reaction to a product, and it cleared up the painful red rash and soothed almost immediately. I do recommend getting a sample first if you are sensitive to essential oils. You only need a few drops to see results. I put this on after I've spritzed my toner and gently press into skin. I cannot recommend this product enough-- it really does what it claims.

5. Repair/Moisturize: Lastly, I smooth on my fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream with Super 7 Complex. This moisturizer is very cooling and gentle. I do not slather on heavy creams, as those tend to break me out and irritate even more. Instead, I prefer to layer with moisturizing products like those mentioned above.  This fresh moisturizer has a  creamy gel-like texture, but works like a heavy duty cream. It has high levels of anti-oxidants and hydrates the skin very well. I've seen a great difference with hydration for my skin since using the moisturizer.
And, if I am feeling really dry and irritated, I add one drop of Mad Hippie Antioxidant Facial Oil.

Antioxidant Facial Oil

How do you treat your skin when needing extra TLC? What are your go-to products that calm down the skin? I'd love to know your regimen.

No comments:

Post a Comment